Monday, July 7, 2008

Slight setback

For those of you still reading the surgery saga, I had a bit of a setback this weekend. After non-stop improvement including more hearing in my ear, I suddenly got the worst headache. Just moving my eyeballs made my head feel like it was exploding. While headaches are common right after brain surgery, it was disturbing for me because I had no headaches at all for 3 weeks. In fact, I've never had a headache in my life up until now. (and was a bit ticked this ruined a perfect record). So I contacted my surgeon who I figured would say it's normal. Instead, he said it's not normal at all and instructed me to immediately get a CT scan. Ack.
So Marty took me in and then it at first seemed to be a mini deja vu all over again from my last hospital visit. They asked me if I was allergic to seafood. I said I get violently ill from scallops due to the high iodine content. Then they explained--- well, we're injecting you with an iodine dye solution. Nice? I asked for a barf can. They explained they ionized the iodine so it shouldn't cause the barf effect. Then, in front of Marty, they told me to sign a release form explaining that this dye could cause many additional side effects aside from just nausea including a heart attack. As he stewed in the waiting room he almost busted in the door and said-- Stop, it's not worth it.

Fortunately, I did not barf or have a heart attack. I'm waiting for my surgeon or his partner to explain the results. The good news, while my headaches are still horrible, they are better than before.

Hopefully, this soap opera ends soon.

Susan

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry you ruined your perfect headache-free record, keep us updated on the results of the scan! It's important after contrast to stay hydrated, so keep pushing the fluids! Have they given you anything for the pain? -Alex and Matt

Wendy Wander said...

So you did go in for the scan. I had talked to Mom and I thought you were going to pass. I hope the results are good, although that wouldn't help with the headaches.

Unknown said...

Susan or Marty,

Can Susan take a phone call or is email better?

Andy

Marty said...

Andy--I'll try to have Susan call you tonight or tomorrow.

Kap said...

Susan&Marty:
Susan, your Dr. should have received the CT Scan images and call you soon for the scan results. Since your headach is improving, the slight setback is nothing but a hickup we hope. Please let us know the results as soon as you hear from your Dr. Love, Mom & Dad

Unknown said...

Thanks Marty.

Tell Susan I'll call her cell phone tomorrow. I saw from the last entry she went to work, so I feel better about calling now.

Andy